Moeller High School had its beginning in the fall of 1958 when Archbishop Karl J. Alter appointed Monsignor Edward A. McCarthy and Brother Paul Sibbing, S.M., to supervise the planning and construction of a new school. This new school was possible because of the overwhelming response of the Catholic people of the Cincinnati area to the Archbishop’s High School Fund Campaign. Archbishop Alter named the school Archbishop Moeller High School as a living tribute to the Reverend Fourth Archbishop of the Cincinnati Archdiocese, the Most Reverend Henry Moeller.
Archbishop Henry Moeller instilled new life into the rapidly growing Cincinnati archdiocese. During his tenure, the Fenwick Club was established; the Bureau of Catholic Charities was created; a new seminary building was erected in Norwood; and the development of the archdiocesan school system was pioneered. After more than 20 years of leadership, Archbishop Moeller died on January 5, 1925.
Archbishop Moeller High School opened its doors in September 1960 to freshmen drawn from 15 parishes in the northeastern part of Greater Cincinnati and Hamilton County. Marianist Brother Lawrence Eveslage, S.M., was appointed the first principal, assisted by dedicated Marianist priests and brothers and lay staff. Four years later, the Class of 1964 were proud recipients of the first diplomas bearing the name Archbishop Moeller High School. Since then, more than 10,000 "Men of Moeller" have become alumni.
The Society of Mary (Marianists) was founded in 1817 by Blessed William Joseph Chaminade in Bordeaux France.
For Fr. Chaminade, Mary was his inspiration — she was the one who received the word of the Lord and pondered it in her heart, the woman who gave Christ to the world, and the Mother who cooperates with the Holy Spirit in the formation of believers. Mary lived the message of the gospel.
Central to Blessed Chaminade’s mission was the development of community life in the spirit of the Gospel. Such a community would be a witness of a people of saints, showing that the Gospel still could be lived in all times and places. His work is carried out today by Marianists, vowed religious and over 10,000 lay Marianists, throughout the world. Marianists serve in 30 countries on five continents. They minister in over 100 schools in the world, including 20 secondary and middle schools and three universities (University of Dayton, St. Mary’s of San Antonio, and Chaminade University in Honolulu) in the United States.
Marianists have ministered at Moeller since the school opened in 1960. In 2004, Moeller entered into a sponsorship agreement with the Society of Mary, further solidifying the relationship for the achievement of a shared mission.